Sunday, November 1, 2009

Finishing and Funnel Cakes


So one may or may not know but I have been on this weird, fun, frustrating, mind boggling, shocking journey since about January 19th or so...( I only remember b/c it was big C's bday and inauguration day and there a big snow storm here in the south). So one may say that it has taken quite a long time for me to get to the end of the journey seeing as it has been like almost 11 months! Well the journey isn't quite over but I am almost to the end of the journey(at least I think I am). When I get there I will have to let you know the whole process as it takes a while to really get my thoughts down on this one.... So part of the journey was running a 5k. Now some of you runners out there are thinking to yourself right now that a 5k is nothing and that is just a warm up for you... But let me first say that running is not something that I like or that I am fanatical about... I ran in high school but my favorite race was the hurdles, short and a purpose. You run fast and short and you have a goal to finish but there is a hurdle in your way and you have to jump over them! Now I am a lot older and don't nearly have the desire to run over hurdles, I might fall down. And well I have had three kids and things don't move as fast as they use to and I don't have the same body I did when I was 16. You may be saying, " Get to your point already!" So the whole 5k thing is b/c I needed to have a healthier body and finally decided that running was going to be an aspect of that plan. I had a goal that was much earlier than October 31. but probably nerves, mostly excuses and fear got in the way!!! FEAR was a huge part of it. This journey(not just the 5k) has taught me that I really need to stop relying on myself and just let God take over and be the control of my life. I like to control, have all the ducks in a row and well giving that up was well, new. Check this verse out: "Now what I am commanding you today is not to difficult for you or beyond your reach." Deuteronomy 30:11(underline by me) I kept thinking that I needed to look at my journey as the big picture but I really just needed to look at it one day at a time b/c then and only then it would be manageable for me to handle. And that is when I knew that I could handle a 5k! 3 miles, really 3.106855961185 miles to be exact. So for the past many months I have been running, on and off and then off and on. I have even had a running buddy. He really can't run as fast as me or give me the encouragement I need but when you are being pushed in a jog stroller and usually fall asleep while mommy is running you take what you can get. So that is when I realized that listening to praise music was helping me out and that the scripture that I was memorizing was coming in handy too. And that when you pray the run goes by a little bit faster and is so much more worth it. So I thought I was ready for this past Saturday and my first 5k...hmm.... So I had my music, the scripture and the praying down and well I had the music taken away. No music at this race, for very good reasons. Something about not hearing cars going by and maybe being in their path was enough motivation for me to not listen to the music. But I needed something to keep me from hearing myself think. And then I remember that I have prayer and scripture on my side. Thank goodness b/c I didn't think I was going to make it but then God showed up in the most unlikely way. I have always said that I have to run by myself b/c well... who knows, I have issues.... But God showed up with a friend who I really don't know all that well and have not had that many conversations with but she really inspired me to be the best runner I could be. She even made me race her at the end, she won but it really was only about the finishing for me. I saw her at church Sunday and she asked if I wanted to run another race with her!! ( we will see) I did finish the race, that was my one and only goal. My hubby asked me what my goal was and I told him, " to finish!" He laughed and asked me what I meant. I didn't want to quit, I could walk if I needed, not time limits, just finishing! And I did finish! I don't remember what my time was exactly but I do remember seeing a 4 yr old coming to meet me at the finish line with a big smile! He was proud of his mommy no matter if I finished 1st or last. All that mattered to him(and to me) was that I finished and he was proud! So with not just my family's cheering but God's help in mighty ways I was able to complete a part of my journey. Check out the pictures from the day, not a very beautiful day, a little bit rainy but a good day regardless:


The kids even got a chance to run in a little race of their own. They ran a few yard and got a medal from the Little Gym. They were so cute and so proud of themselves.


So onto the the funnel cakes. What in the world did the funnel cakes have to do with anything? Well we have lived here in the south for 3 yrs and every year we say we are going to go to the fair and never make it. We just need to plan better. So after the race there was a little festival for our town. And there was funnel cakes that I have been longing for since like September. So with $5 in his hand my hubby went to the funnel cake booth and gave me my reward for a race well done. A delicious tasting funnel cake !!


So I hope that this weekend you have had as wonderful a weekend as I have had...finishing and funnel cakes!

9 comments:

Kim said...

Way to go Brook! I'm very proud of you and you look great to boot! :)

Sandie said...

Congrats! That is a wonderful accomplishment! And you look awesome. It's amazing what the Lord can do in our lives when we give him control. Love you!!

Beth Green said...

AWESOME! So proud of you. No better way to cross the finish line than to see those smiles and them cheering for you! You are an inspiration!

The Buntens said...

Yay you!!! That is so awesome Brook! You are lookin' good girl!

Stefani said...

Go Ms Broke! I'm so proud of you! I can't wait to get my rear in gear and join you in the next one! You are an inspiration for us all and a great role model for your kiddos! I'd say that was one well deserved funnel cake! :)

Eric and Allyson said...

So proud of you...way to go Brook!

Amanda Chamberlain said...

Way to go, Brook! You really stuck with it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this blog, Brookie. It made me cry.

josi said...

i love you, brook. i going to keep that verse in a coule of good spots around my house! congrats on finishing!