Not too long ago we took a trip up to the snow belt of Ohio for a very special visit. But the reason for the visit started back last May. My hubby and I were getting ready for church and we got a phone call from Ohio. Well, when it is from Ohio we usually answer b/c it is most likely family. I didn't recognize the number and answered it. So when I said, "Hello," a ladies voice answers and says, " This is G.W. from JCU. " Well when your alma matter is calling it is usually some poor college student calling to get money, a donation from you. So I was quite ready to say no thank you, not right now. But when it was the Associate Athletic Director(and former volleyball and softball coach) my mind started to race a little bit.
Side note:I have know for quite sometime that I have a fantastic husband! He is so talented in so many areas that it blows my mind. One of those areas is SOCCER! And when I say he has played soccer for many years, he has played soccer for many years!!! He has been playing since he was 4 years old, in "bumble bee ball" as he likes to call it. He did take a break when we got married until like 2 yrs ago when he played on a rec. league here in the south and now he is playing on a team that he says is college level or harder. I really don't know what that is but some may. Okay so back to what I was saying about the phone call.
So GW is calling and I have a feeling why she is calling... So I hand the phone to hubby and he listens and then his eyes get a little excited and I now know why she is calling and I am about to jump out of my skin b/c I am soooooo proud!!! She was calling to let my awesome, super cool talented hubby know that he is being inducted into the JCU Athletic Hall of Fame!!! Yep my hubby the super cool, soccer playing, goalie! I won't go into all of his soccer accomplishments of why he was inducted but he is just awesomely talented.
So we made a trip in early October to our alma matter and how have things changed in 10 yrs. New buildings, very young looking students, some of the same land marks, strolls down memory lane and some wonderful moments with family and friends. Hubby's family came for the dinner, even my b-in-law with my nephew from western NC, Hubby's grandma, his parents and our dear friends who we met at JCU. It was such a wonderful evening. Did I mention I had to get a new dress and new shoes!!! (can't go wearing jeans and a t-shirt like I do everyday) I had a lot of fun honoring my hubby and some of the other athletes who are all very talented still to this day!
But the weekend wasn't over quite yet. We still had to go to the Homecoming Football game for a half-time presentation, of my awesome hubby! He got to stand along side the other athletes and the one truly incredible thing was that he got to stand besides some of our alma matter's more senior inductee's. These men played football on the 1959 team. So that got me thinking. They were about 18-22 yrs old when they were playing football at JCU. Which meant that they are my dad's age!! Some of these men were 70 yrs old! What an honor for them as a team. It was just so touching to see my hubby interacting with some of them on the field as they were being presented. Another great moment was after the game was when my hubby and an old teammate of his and all of our kids went out onto the field to kick the soccer ball around a little bit! It was a lot of fun to see Scooter doing the soccer thing!! He really does think he is big like his Daddy!
I wish I could post the pictures of the weekend but, alas, my computer is having some minor problems and well, it just isn't possible. Hopefully I will post some for our Christmas update here in a few weeks!
Podcast Interviews with The Nester, 2026
2 weeks ago

1 comment:
Way to go, Grant!
Wendy
Post a Comment