So this past week my parents have been in town and it was such a nice time to have them. I really have missed having them in my life on a regular basis. But bummer was that they came to have maybe some warmer temperatures but it snowed. And it snowed big for the south. We had to have about 4-6 inches of snow. And with that came two snow days and another 2 hr delay for school. So the days I had intended to go out and do things....well... they didn't happen. But the cool thing was that I learned some things about my dad that I had never know. We were watching the inauguration all day on Tuesday and every once in a while my dad would chime in with just a bit of knowledge about the capitol. But something really floored me. My hubby had been talking about the service men lining the streets as Bush and Obama made their way to the inauguration. We were really just noticing how they saluted as the car drove by them and how cold they had to be. And that is when my dad chimed in.
He said "yeah that is kind of cold when you have to stand there."
I said, "What? How do you know that?"
Dad: " Well I got to stand there for an inauguration"
Me: " Really? For which president?'
Dad: " Kennedy"
Me: "Seriously?"
Dad: " Yep. I had my choice to either stand along the route or plow snow with a bulldozer. I really wanted to plow snow with a bulldozer b/c I thought that would be more fun."
And I was just in awe. Not that he said he wanted to plow the snow but that he got the chance to be part of history for an inauguration for a president, a president that had such an impact on our nation. So I sat and listened to the inauguration with my parents. And watched my dad a little bit more that day knowing that I learned something I had never know about him. I love those moments! Now if you know my dad you will know that the bulldozer thing is no surprise. My mom has a few hidden rocks in her yard that my dad just decided to dig up. Probably b/c he wanted to use a bulldozer. Not a surprise at all. And I have had my turn at using a bulldozer too. Not a bad skill to learn but one that I know I would not necessarily use in my current job as Mommy. But maybe my boys will need me to teach them how to dig up rocks one day with a large machine. One never knows b/c just like my dad he was part of history and I never knew until now in 2009.
My dad and boy wonder reading a book just after Christmas.
Our family in our first big southern snow!!
More pictures coming soon!
More pictures coming soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment